Your birds will flock to this easy DIY bird-safe recipe for wreaths, ornaments, or balls. The birds can land directly on these treats without getting any greasy fats on their feet or into their feathers. It is a super easy recipe and being made with gelatin, it is high in protein.
This project is fun for kids and not very messy! Please do not use those dangerous home-made suet pine cones that allow birds to get fats all over their feet and into their feathers. Dirty, greasy feathers cannot keep a bird warm, and in winter that is deadly.
For shapes use cookie cutters, the bottom of a Bundt pan, or just mold to the form you desire.
1. Mix the cold water and gelatin, stir, then wait one minute.
2. Stir in the boiling water until the gelatin dissolves.
3. Add the seed mix to the gelatin water and stir. Make sure all of the seed is coated.
4. Use a cookie cutter, a mold, the bottom of a Bundt pan, or form a shape.
5. Do not spray with oil since this is an oil/fat-free recipe.
6. To form your own shape: use wax paper, plate, or a pastry mat. Shape to whatever joyous or ghoulish image you'd like. Or, press the seed into cookie cutters or the bottom of the Bundt pan till compact, then put in the refrigerator overnight.
7. Create a hole for the ribbon by putting a chopstick or thick skewer into the seed.
Note: you do not need to add corn syrup or flour, neither of which are good for our birds.
Making holiday crafts and decorations safe for our birds is pretty simple if we follow just a few general rules.
Follow our page to learn more about birds, how to care for those who share your yard, and get great ideas like the one here. For the Birds!
Native Bird Care's is celebrating its 10th anniversary! Our main focus is song, shore, and waterbirds. We offer specialized care and facilities for these extraordinary birds..